Ocala, FL Motorcycle Accidents
For adventurous people who enjoy riding motorcycles, Florida’s open roads are an opportunity waiting to be taken. With year-long sunny weather and calming winds, there is indeed no better place to feel the breeze blow through your hair while riding along the terrains of beaches and swampy lands. Despite the thrill that motorcycles offer, however, motorcycles can also be dangerous. They contribute to a large number of the total accidents on the road per year. In fact, according to a 2014 report generated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more than 4,500 people die in motorcycle crashes each year.
To learn more about ways to protect yourself from a motorcycle accident, rely on an experienced accident attorney in Ocala, FL.
Motorcycle Accidents | Hidden Dangers
Many people do not realize that riding a motorcycle can involve hidden dangers. While vehicles provide full coverage around passengers to prevent impact during a collision, a rider’s full body is exposed on a motorcycle. As such, it is much easier for a rider to be seriously injured. Further, not all motorcycles are built with secure seatbelts to protect motorists from leaping off of their bikes.
Ocala motorcycle accident attorneys at Schatt, McGraw, Rauba & Mutarelli in Ocala, FL, have seen numerous cases of motorcycle accidents and have discovered that motorcycles present hidden dangers because of unavoidable obstacles riders face on the road. The following conditions make it difficult for motorists to operate their bikes on the road and often lead to serious motorcycle accidents.
- Poor weather conditions (such as rain, snow, and heavy winds)
- Vehicles often drive unreasonably close to the tail of motorcycles
- Cars often change lanes without signaling, making it difficult for motorists to adjust
- Car doors are often opened on the road, increasing the probability of a crash
- Rocks, gravel and objects on the road are extreme hazards for motorists, making it easy for bikes to flip over or for motorcyclists to be forced to steer in an undesirable direction
- The front brakes of motorcycles can result in a bike being flipped over when used abruptly after steady speed
- It is often difficult for motorists to properly perceive ongoing traffic, especially from turning lanes
Safety Tips For Motorists & Drivers
Despite the hidden dangers of riding motorcycles, there are intentional steps that both motorists and car drivers can take to prevent motorcycle accidents and ensure safety for everyone.
- Motorcyclists should always wear safety gear, such as knee pads and helmets. Gloves also help to maintain a strong grip on the wheel.
- Motorcyclists should wear secure, closed-toe shoes to effectively operate the brakes of a bike.
- Motorcyclists should wear bright colored clothing (especially at night) to ensure that they are seen.
- Motorcyclists should adhere to traffic rules and regulations.
- Motorcyclists should not drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- Motorcyclists should be alert and attentive at all times.
- Motorcyclists should avoid speed racing and other games on the road.
- Motorcyclists should not ride in inclement weather conditions.
- Drivers should be alert and attentive at all times.
- Drivers should practice defensive driving techniques in order to anticipate the actions of others on the road and adjust accordingly.
- Drivers should avoid distractions on the road, such as eating, drinking and usage of cellular devices.
- Drivers should follow appropriate traffic signs and laws.
- Drivers should yield and utilize turn signals accordingly.
- Drivers should be considerate of bikers on the road.
If both car drivers and motorists adhere to Florida traffic laws and respect each other’s space and utilization of the road, a motorcycle accident and/or collision is less likely to occur. In the event that a motorcycle accident does occur however, an auto accident lawyer in Ocala should be contacted immediately.
How To Handle A Motorcycle Accident
If you are involved in a motorcycle accident, it may be difficult to receive compensation for personal injury in a court of law. There are often negative stigmas associated with motorcycle accidents. Further, it is often much more difficult to identify who or whom is at fault. As such, the following steps should be taken after a motorcycle accident.
Seek Medical Attention
The first thing that you should do after a motorcycle accident is to seek medical attention. A full physical examination of the body is necessary to access if there are any external or internal bodily injuries, as well as general shock and dysfunction. It is best that the parties involved in an auto accident receive adequate forms of care before doing anything else.
Exchange Contact Information
If you are in a motorcycle accident, there is a strong likelihood that you will be communicating with the other parties involved until the case is settled. As such, you should gather and exchange contact information with the other parties immediately. Names, addresses, phone numbers, license numbers and emails are basic information that should be shared and documented.
Take Photographs | Keep Records
Next, those involved in a motorcycle accident should take pictures of the scene, injuries and bike. It is also important to maintain medical records, insurance records and other documents that may be employed as forms of evidentiary support.
Contact A Lawyer
After you have followed the aforementioned steps, you should contact an experienced Ocala accident lawyer as soon as possible. Whether you decide to file a claim with your insurance carrier or a lawsuit against the person at fault, you will need sound legal representation and compelling evidence. With the assistance of an auto accident attorney, you can trust that your many needs will be met.
Auto Accident Attorneys in Ocala, FL
There is no need to miss out on the thrilling adventure experienced on a motorcycle. In fact, our motorcycle accident attorneys at Schatt, McGraw, Rauba & Mutarelli encourage you to continue to do what you love. We only ask that you act responsibly. There are many ways to stay safe on the road as a motorist and such decisions can impact the safety of pedestrians and drivers on the road.
To learn more about motorcycle safety precautions, or to gain valuable guidance on your claim or lawsuit, contact our car accident law firm in Ocala, FL today. A member of our team, personal injury and accident attorney Kenneth M. Hesser, has numerous years of experience in personal injury litigation and would be proud to represent you.