Ocala, FL Auto Accidents
Ocala Auto Accident Attorneys
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) reports that for 2014, there were 344,170 motor vehicle accidents, with 2,500 of those resulting in fatalities.
Florida operates under a “no-fault” insurance claim system when it comes to the payment of auto insurance claims after a car accident. Florida drivers are required to carry auto insurance that meets certain personal injury minimums. When Florida policyholders are involved in vehicle accidents, the drivers’ own policies pay for accident-related expenses, such as medical claims, lost wages, auto repair and other accident related expenses.
However, under Florida law, an injured party may file a personal injury lawsuit following a car accident when the injuries meet certain statutory requirements.
These requirements include:
- Serious Scarring
- Loss of an important bodily function
- Certain other types of serious injuries other than scarring or disfigurement
- When death results
What to Do After a Car Accident
If you are involved in an automobile accident, it is critical to protect your legal rights and to preserve the integrity of your claim for your auto accident lawyer.
Our Ocala accident attorneys at Schatt, McGraw, Rauba & Mutarelli recommend taking the following steps:
- Remain at the accident scene and take notes and photographs of the vehicles and any injuries and collect witness contact information.
- Do not admit fault or discuss details concerning medical injuries.
- Provide your name, address and phone number to authorities and obtain as much information as possible from the other involved parties.
- When contacted by an insurance adjuster, only discuss your property damages, and take notes.
- Do not talk to an adjuster about anything except the very basic facts of the accident, ie. the date, time and location of the accident.
- Ask if the adjuster knows of any witnesses, but do not disclose your own witnesses.
- Obtain the name and phone number of the adjuster.
- Do not allow your conversations with an adjuster to be recorded.
- Do not agree to any settlement terms, factual stipulations or sign any paperwork.
- Call your insurance company as soon as possible.
- Contact our auto accident law firm as soon as possible.
Being involved in an auto accident can be a life-changing experience. It is important to engage legal assistance through the process.
Do I Need an Accident Attorney?
Most automobile accidents are caused by driver negligence, vehicle failure or items related to highway and road maintenance. Under Florida Law, there are many factors which affect your claim and the amounts you can recover, even if you were partially at fault. There are also legal statutes affecting the time frame for filing a lawsuit. A personal injury law firm can assist with ensuring that you recover all the monetary expenses to which you may be entitled, including:
- lost earnings and wages,
- property damage(s) resulting from the accident,
- past, current and future medical expenses,
- loss of a loved one, also referred to as loss of consortium,
- permanent disabilities and disfigurements,
- emotional distress, and
- other expenses related to your accident.
Contact an Ocala Personal Injury Law Firm
Staffed with highly qualified Ocala accident attorneys, Schatt, McGraw, Rauba & Mutarelli provides auto accident attorneys with qualified auto accident experience.
Contact our personal injury law firm today to discuss how we can provide legal assistance with your auto accident case.